May 10, 2010

MM15


Kaden didn't quite believe me when I told him that I broke my leg skiing at Lee Canyon when I was 14 and had a big cast all the way up my leg. I am glad I found this old picture to prove it! My dad and Lisa look so young... well, Lisa should look young, she was only 6! And I love seeing a picture of my wonderful Grandpa Huntington.
It was about the end of February 1970 and my mom and dad took me, a couple of my best friends, Taffy & Teresa and Teresa's cousin skiing for the day at Lee Canyon. They even let us ditch school to go. We had a great day and I just wanted to get one more run in before we had to leave. I was wearing my brother's skis which were way too long for me (in my 14 year old wisdom, I was trying to be cool)... the snow was starting to dry up and I hit some gravel and wiped out big time. My body and knees were in one direction and my right foot and leg were in another. Ouch! Teresa hurried to get the ski patrol and as I lay there waiting, I made sure to comb my hair and asked Taffy to hand me some lip gloss because I knew how cute the ski patrol guys were! Obviously my leg wasn't hurting quite yet. The ski patrol came and I did my best to flirt with them as they loaded me into the basket thing so they could get me down the mountain...(and I wonder why my girls were always such flirts!!) Then, my leg really started to hurt... really. hurt. and the only boy I wanted was my dad! I had a spiral break from my ankle to my knee.
I had to have that ugly old cast for three months!!!!! What a memory.
Check out my dad's plaid pants. Now those are something!

2 comments:

joellen said...

I love to read your blog for many reasons ... you always include lots of pictures, you post regularly, you include nostalgia and lastly, I know so many of the same people you know ... I remember your grandpa Huntington, your mom and dad, your brother and so on. Thanks for being a great "blogger"!

susan bunker said...

i love the detail about the lip gloss. :) no wonder you always look good!