March 16, 2008

Go Rebels!

Last Saturday I went to the UNLV/ BYU basketball game with Ally, Courtney, Holly and Janae. Before leaving for the game I had a hard time deciding whether to wear Cougar Blue or Rebel Red! I went with a very neutral white t-shirt... but I did put on my BYU jacket. It is hard to switch from being a huge BYU fan, for volleyball especially, for the last four years, back to being a Runnin' Rebel fan, even though we have been Rebel fans for thirty years. I decided that since BYU has paid for Amy's entire college and still is until the end of spring term, that I could wear my blue and white for at least one more time against UNLV. It is a lot easier when they don't play each other! But, Saturday, I have to admit that I was secretly cheering for UNLV to pull it out... I love the underdog. I agree with Susan and think that the sign that said this was my favorite too... "You just lost to: two walk ons, a 27 year old, a 6'7" center and a guy named "Wink". I am happy UNLV gets to go to the "Big Dance" and BYU does too. Wink Adams was absolutely amazing. But, I will say that I did not like the very rude, foul mouthed UNLV fans that were sitting by us and I think that pouring beer over the BYU players heads as they were heading for the tunnel at the end of the game was ridiculous! I have come to realize that there are going to be ignorant, dumb fans anywhere you go and you can't let a few ruin it for everyone else.
As I saw the big celebration at the end, I thought back to some big UNLV games that we have been there to cheer for... Great memories! It is even starting to feel like some of the magic is back.
I found these old pictures from the early years...

Me, RaNae and Laurie with Armon Gillium in 1987. Rebels made it to the Final Four that year.
RaNae and me with Anderson Hunt in 1990 right before the National Championship victory!
Good Luck next week Rebels... and good luck to the Cougars too...

1 comment:

susan bunker said...

You were at that game??? How sweet, and what cute pictures!!! You must be very organized to be able to pull out all these oldies but goodies pictures to add to your fun posts!

GO REBELS! and I will also add, "GO COUGARS"!