May 4, 2011

Utah Trip

Amber and I went to Utah last week... I can't remember the last time I went on a trip with Amber anywhere! (Actually I can... It was 1998 and we were bringing her home from California after she had been in a terrible car accident, where she flew out the front window, and had a broken back.)
And another first...Amber and I went to Women's Conference together!!! While we were sitting in the Smith's Field House next to my sister, Lisa and I looked at each other and with tears streaming down both our cheeks, I said, "can you believe it?" We had to pinch ourselves a few times just to make sure we weren't dreaming. Miracle.No.Doubt. We had a great time together and felt the spirit so abundantly as we listened to inspired speakers share their testimonies and uplift us. Next year, I'm hoping all five of our daughters go with me and we start a new girls tradition. I'm already planning on it.

We went to Aunt Lisa's for a little bit to visit and to see Tyler, and give him well wishes on his graduation. Kalvin loved the singing card and danced to "celebrate" over and over. It was so cute!

How did I not get a picture of us with Aunt Lisa?!!! I'm slacking!!

We stayed at Dave and Sue's beautiful home and felt like we were in the lap of luxury. You know how you have those kind of friends that no matter how long the time passes between visits, you pick up right where you left off as if no time has passed at all. That's how it is with Sue. I love her. She is such a wonderful friend. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Sue's daughter Kristin, and Amber were best friends when they were little girls. They spent every minute they could together back then and it was so fun to go back down memory lane and remember those happy times. Thursday night Sue and I went to the big musical concert at the Marriott Center. Oh wow, it was great!

Amber and Amy went salsa dancing Thursday, and for the first time that Amy can remember she spent some quality time really getting to know her oldest sister. Friday morning Amber went to Amy's school and visited her psychology classes. Amy had the students ask her questions all about what she has been through in the last 15 years... Amy said that Amber did a great job talking to her students, and hopefully her story of addiction and many wasted sad years, can help keep someone else from making the same destructive choices. We all know that Amber is just beginning on this road of real recovery and that she has a long, long way to go, but she is further on the road than she has ever been, and we are all so hopeful and extremely grateful.

Friday night we had fun going out to dinner with the Izants...





And Saturday before we headed home, we woke up to snow. Yep, snow... on the last day of April!

What a wonderful trip! One I will never forget, that's for sure...

5 comments:

Mayce and Ethan said...

I love hearing about Amber's progress! I'm so happy and I'm praying for her continued success. She looks beautiful and happy in those pictures :)

suzanne said...

such wonderful news... it's so great having her and kaden at church. we may need her help in primary when she's ready! :) she looks beautiful.

Jena said...

Just amazing! So glad to see & hear about Amber!! Hopefully we'll get to see her soon.

Allison Barnes said...

I am so happy for your family!! You are the best!

kristenita said...

Best thing I've read all year!! I'm so happy to read about amber & the women's conference & see her smiling & looking happy & pretty. More prayers coming from me, awesome, though!
You are such an amazing mom - your girls are so lucky to have you!!!!!