May 20, 2011

Ally Update


Allyson and her companion, Sister Taylor
It's waaay past time for an Ally update! I just posted some of her emails and some pictures on her blog...but I wanted to put an update on mine too.
Allyson is amazing!!! It was so great to get to talk to her on Mother's Day. She sounds wonderful and we cherished every minute of being able to hear her voice. She made us laugh and cry all at the same time. She is loving Houston and the great people there. And she is bringing blessings to our family every day.
I am amazed to realize that there are over 50,000 LDS missionaries serving all over the world right now. They go at their own expense, leaving school & jobs for a time (2 years or 18 months), only call home 2 times a year, learn different languages & cultures, never watch tv (unless it is a church video), leave behind loved ones, teach about Christ every day, and study, serve, love, help and give of themselves willingly. Their courage, strength and testimony is such an inspiration.
We love you Ally Kay! We miss you like crazy...but we are so grateful for your sacrifice and willingness to be a missionary. You've always wanted to go on a mission...you talked about it and sang about it from the time you were a little girl!
It's hard to believe that you have already been a full time missionary for a year!!

"We saw a man jogging the other day with a big sign strapped to his back that said,"Honk for Jesus". My companion and I got so excited. I honked the horn. And then Sister Taylor and I looked at each other and said, "We are missionaries for Jesus!" It was a cool moment. We really are. That's a lot to live up to. But it's more to live for."



"My heart is totally full right now. I remember hearing Sister Lords bear her testimony in sacrament meeting several years ago. I remember her saying her heart was full to the brim and even overflowing. I have often heard others say that since, and I have tried to understand how that might feel. Today I know exactly how it feels. I just want each of you to know how much I love you. How yesterday when I was tired and did not want to keep knocking doors to no avail, how it was hot and sticky and I just wanted to be done... I thought of my precious family, and it was as if someone pulled a string on my heavy heart and just lifted it up. My burdens were made light.... I have been blessed with so many tender mercies and so many wonderful people I love so much. I grow from each of you. I miss you."

No comments: