April 19, 2010

MM 12

For as long as I could remember, my dad had a motorcycle... at least until the last 5 or 6 years when Mom finally talked him into putting his helmet away. I remember being taken to school on the motorcycle, long trips on the motorcycle, the awesome side car, and his dogs riding on the motorcycle. I grew up with him having a BMW... it wasn't until later that he got a Harley. One summer we went with some friends of ours to Lake Mead to meet Dad and get the keys to the boat so we could take it out for an evening ride. I was telling Steve and RaNae about my dad and that he always rode his motorcycle, and that most likely he would have his dog, Spirit, with him. They could hardly believe what I was telling them...a dog on a motorcycle with a black leather custom made helmet...yeah right!
We turned a corner and there was my dad, who had pulled over to the side. We got out of the car and my Dad enthusiastically said, "love me, ...love my dog!" It was a great memory that we have laughed about over the years. There are many, many reasons why my dad is amazing...this is just one of them. I. love. you. Dad!
You're the coolest biker ever!!!



When I was 13, my dad took me to the Indy 500 race in Indianapolis, Indiana on his motorcycle. We spent three weeks crossing the country... and I enjoyed every minute of it. (well, almost every minute...bugs in my helmet, not so much and trying to sleep with my arms around my dad's waist...yikes!) We stopped at the capitols of almost every state as Dad tried to squeeze in a little learning along the way since he had talked my counselor, Mr. Keller, at John C. Fremont to let me out of school two weeks early. My favorite stop, besides the race, was in Kentucky , at a blue grass farm, where we got to see a baby colt be born. I was not a fan of Lake Charles, Louisiana simply because of all the bugs that got through my helmet and into my hair. I remember getting to the Indy 500 racetrack and the line of cars was so long and had come to a dead stop trying to get in... we just went right past everyone and to the front of the line on our cool motorcycle. It was great to get to go with Fred Gillies (Dad's best friend) and his daughter Kim. I picked Mario Andretti to win the race (because I thought he was cute)... and he did win! It was awesome!! Over the years I have thought about this wonderful experience with my dad and have been filled with gratitude that I got to spend this one on one time with my dad on a very special"Daddy Daughter Date" across the country.
I'm grateful Mom let me go and I'm grateful for the wonderful memories that I will always cherish.
Dad took Lisa a couple of years later on a motorcycle trip to Canada, and he also took Steve to the Indy 500...
There were countless other times that we all shared in his love of motorcycles.

The grandkids always had a blast when Grandpa came over on his motorcycle and gave them a ride around the neighborhood... great memories.


5 comments:

suzanne said...

your dad is awesome. does he have a dog now? i think he should have one. :)

Grama Linda said...

We all think Dad should get a dog too...but he say's no, because he likes to go to the temple all day almost every day and he wouldn't want to leave a dog home alone.

Brett, Azurdee, and Our Two Miracles said...

That is a great post! Sounds like your Dad has a lot of character. What fun memories for you and how fun to read about it. We love you!

defining amy said...

mother dear. i thought we already discussed... all pictures with me from the ages of 12 - 16, are strictly prohibited from the blog. oh dear. love you.

Anonymous said...

So so cool. I just wish I could be as cool and as great of a guy as Papa Jack! I think of him all the time especially while on my bike...

Justin