May 3, 2009

My Sweet Mama...


We were able to bring my wonderful mother home from the hospital this week (she has been there for almost a month)...all she wanted was to go home. I am so grateful for special nurses and caregivers who are helping to make it possible for her to be in her home. A few days ago she opened up her big brown eyes and looked right at me and said, "Why do we have to get old? Well, I'm sure glad we get to be together forever..." Then last night at 2:30 am she called my dad emphatically from her hospital bed in the family room and said, "Get me out of here! It's your fault I am in here, now you get me out! You need to call Linda, call Ric, call Ron... right NOW!" I asked her this morning if she remembered saying that and giving Dad such a hard time in the middle of the night and she said, "NO, I think your dad is just joshin... I am just fine."
It is so hard to see both of my parents getting older... but I truly feel privileged to be able to help care for them and comfort them. There is a special closeness that my brothers, sister and our whole family have come to know as we work together to make sure that our parents are comfortable, happy, well fed and
filled with love overflowing.

I love this picture. It was taken just last June 5th on her 82nd birthday...I love you Mom!


3 comments:

Allison Barnes said...

I am so glad she is home with your dad. I hope they are doing ok. Sorry to hear about your mother in law... I hope you are holding up, what can I do for you??


Love ya,
Allison

suzanne said...

i love that her nails are still so fancy.

so sorry to hear about your mother in law.

our prayers are with you. and we love you.

susan bunker said...

she is such a beautiful woman! i i guess i know where you came from. that is a great picture of the two of you, and of your hands! how do you keep her nails so pretty?