June 15, 2010

Howdy!


Our missionary, Sister Allyson K. Schlauder is doing great! Her emails are amazing and she has truly loved the MTC. It has not been easy, in fact it has been really hard, but also exhilarating, spiritual, and wonderful. Tomorrow she is off to Houston, Texas... she is ready and very excited for this new adventure. She gets to call us from the airport and we can't wait to hear her voice. The next time we will get to talk to her is Christmas. Until then it's just letters and an email once a week.
We love you Ally. We are so proud of you.
Here is a little part of her email today...
"We watched a talk by Elder Holland the other day. He said something that really impacted me. "It's (missionary work) not something you do because it's convenient or comfortable." I have realized that this isn't about being comfortable. I am actually becoming quite familiar with not being comfortable. It's not why I came out here. I came out here because I love the Lord and I had goodly parents who taught me to trust the Lord. I am enjoying the journey and am so excited to go to the temple tonight and leave for Houston tomorrow.
I love you all..."

"When I spoke in church the other week, I gave this analogy about the worth of souls... When you are walking down the street and you see a penny, the likely-hood is that you won't pick it up. (Unless you are Papa Jack because he said, "a penny found is a penny earned" when we were at the nail salon before I left. He even picked it up out of the gutter!) But if you see a quarter, you will definitely pick it up and feel like it was a treasure found. I feel like we are all quarters. We are all of great worth... and God will always pick us up. We just have to do our part and pray and ask for help, and I know He will guide us and be with us and pick us up because we are His children and we are worth it!" Sister Schlauder (from last weeks email)


"I love it here. I really do. I am a missionary for Jesus Christ's church! Can you believe it? I just rub my name tag sometimes. I slept with it on the first night because I was so thrilled to have it on. I have since retired it to the desk for the 8 hours of sleep, but quickly put it on right when I wake up. I love being called sister everyday by everyone, and I genuinely feel that I we are children of God every day." Sister Schlauder (from Ally's 1st email home)

3 comments:

Allison Barnes said...

She sounds wonderful!! I am so happy for her. She will be amazing! have fun talking to her tomorrow!!

The worst part of my Sunday disaster was that i missed your lesson! I always LOVE your lessons.

suzanne said...

she is awesome. what a great example to all of us.

sadie said...

she looks more beautiful than i have ever seen her! i love missionaries.