January 16, 2012

MM 99 ...Patrick Lane and butterflies

Last week I went to Candy's house (that's the house you can see in the background) to have our annual friends get together. (Can you believe that I didn't even take one picture?! I.am.slackin'!))
I love all of these dear friends. They are such a blessing in my life.

Well, we used to live across the street from Candy for almost 20 years and going back there always brings back a plethora of memories. I usually leave there just a little bit teary eyed as I reminisce about our days on Patrick Lane. Those were such wonderful days...carefree days of lemonade stands, playing games, summer floods, the big dips, sitting on Candy's big rock, and best friends.
I remember the day I took this picture so well... Leah was tired of waiting for all the kids to get home from school, so we decided to have a picnic outside under the tiny tree (which is now huge!) in our front yard...the back yard was still dirt. We laid on the blanket, laughed, and watched butterflies as we waited for the school bus. Leah has always loved butterflies. I remember talking to Leah about how a caterpillar turns into a beautiful butterfly, how magical it is and how much Heavenly Father loves us to give us so many of His beautiful creations.

I got a phone call the other night from a friend of Leah's who did not know that she had passed away. I told her what had happened and as we cried together, she told me how much Leah meant to her, and what a good friend she had been to her in the short time she had known her. She said Leah had always helped her to look on the bright side and how she made her feel better and happy by just being around her. She told me that Leah had taught her to draw butterflies, and that she drew so many that she got carpel tunnel in her wrist. We laughed and then cried some more.

Every time I see a butterfly I will think of our precious, sensitive, fragile, beautiful Leah.
I miss her.

No comments: