April 26, 2011

Amber


I have been almost afraid to write this post for fear I might zinx all the good things that have happened recently for our family. For those who read this, and know our family well, you also know that our oldest daughter Amber has struggled with addictions for a very long time. We have prayed, pleaded, and done all we knew how to do to try to help her. It has been years filled with faith, pain, hope, heartache, sadness, longing and never giving up. The choice to live a good, clean and sober life has always been Amber's to make, not ours.
Our Heavenly Father never intended to force us to follow Him. He gave us the precious gift of agency. We are free to choose for ourselves the way we will live our lives. Sometimes we use that gift wisely and sometimes we don't.
I have really loved this Easter more than ever before, as I have truly thought about the greatest gift and sacrifice of all. Before we had an Easter egg hunt with all the kiddos last week, we watched a video about the life of Christ and His last days. We talked about what Easter really means and why we celebrate it. Jesus gave His life for us. He took upon himself all of our sins, heartaches, illnesses, pain, and addictions through the Atonement. He suffered for our sins and saved us from them. What a glorious promise, that if we will repent and come unto Him, we can be forgiven and made clean and whole again. His grace and His love for us knows no bounds. He was resurrected, and because of Him we can live again and be families forever. As we all sat together watching the video, answering the kids questions, and teaching them about our Savior, my heart was filled to overflowing with gratitude and love.

Last week Amber came home. She is clean, sober and has made a choice to change her life. There is something different this time, and I see a light and a brightness in her eyes like I haven't seen before. Thank you for your prayers for our family...(and please keep 'em coming, we need all the help we can get.)
Welcome home Amber, we've missed you so much. You can do this. I know it.


I stole this from Amy's blog. I love it...

3 comments:

Allison Barnes said...

I am so happy for you!!! We will continue to pray! I love you!

Judy said...

Linda, One day at a time, one prayer constantly in your hear., she can do it and you can too. I love your faith and constant love. I love your positive attitude and true abiding love To me that is the key. Everyone wants to feel loved and needed. Thank you for always teaching me that we can never give up, we must not! Thank you for showing me to continue on and that I can do it with a smile on my face.. Judy

Grama Linda said...

Thank you for your kinds words. And thank you for you caring and sweet friendship. If there is one thing I have learned, it's that we can't do it alone. We need each other and we need to trust, hope, have faith and never give up.