December 6, 2008

Reminiscing...



Last week my dear friend Keri shared her sister in law's blog with me. It is so beautiful. Leslie is an amazing writer. On one post she had this poem and I have thought about it all week...

Going
~~Patricia Fargnoli

The children walk off
into crowds of strangers
their laces tied
their backs straight.
They wave to you
from platforms you cannot reach.
You want to hang on.
Running after them,
you thrust out small packages:
vitamins, a new blouse, guilt.
But they keep discarding
Your dreams for their own.
They carry admonitions
in their pockets
and their children will sing
your lullabies,
so that, finally, knowing this,
you let go.
They blur, fade.
You settle back.
The years pass, silent as clouds.
Sundays they come for dinner,
serve up slices of their lives,
but it’s not the same.
Sometimes, in a crowd,
you will catch a glimpse
of long braids,
a ribbon streaming,
and you will remember----
a head beneath your hand,
a quilt tucked in,
small things snapping on a line.

I love this poem. My heart has been filled with lots of emotions lately and reminiscing. I am humbled and grateful that Heavenly Father allowed me to be a mother. He trusted me with five of His precious daughters. I am truly blessed. I don't feel that I have done a good enough job in that most sacred calling...and I have been beating myself up a lot lately wishing I could turn back time and do some things over again...If I could, I would teach better, be more patient, love more openly, criticize less, never miss family night, stop sweating the small stuff, shower them with praise and tell them daily how wonderful they are, smother them with hugs and kisses, study the scriptures better, never really get mad at them & never be angry (it doesn't help anything)...just love them and make certain that at every minute of their growing up they knew how much I love them... But, we are where we are and we have done what we've done... with the great, the good and the not so good all mixed in together. I hope they will forgive me for the not so good. I can honestly say... that at each step of raising our little family I truly did the best I knew how to do at the time... I just wish I knew more or knew better. Today, while I am being a little bit sentimental, I want each one of my precious girls to know that I love God, I love my Savior, I love their dad, and I love them unconditionally and with more love than my heart can hold. I believe in them. I am grateful for our priceless temple covenants and our promise of being a forever family. I am grateful that God loved us so much that He sent His Son to atone for our sins and to die for us .
I am grateful for Christmas.

I used to think "Yea right!" when older, much wiser moms would say to me when all of our kids were little, "Enjoy everything because one day you'll turn around and they will be all grown up!" Well, I did turn around and they did grow up...far too quickly. We are truly blessed with beautiful, good, kind hearted, loving, sweet, talented and special daughters.
I am so grateful to be your mother. I. Love. You.
I found these pictures today and I cried... Where did all the years go?


10 comments:

susan bunker said...

That was a BEAUTIFUL post. I had a hard time reading it with all the tears, but I loved your sentiments! Don't ALL mothers feel the regrets? I could echo your words 100%. Thank you, that was beautifully written!

I am amazed at how much YOUR children look like THEIR children. Families are Forever! Love you!

Allison Barnes said...

I love that poem. Thanks for sharing. I think we all wish we could go back in time and do things over. We learn as we go... I agree with Susan, we all have regrets.

You are an amazing mother and I have learned so much from you! I LOVE YOU!

suzanne said...

i think that's why we get to have grandchildren... so that when we are more wise, we get another chance! and i can't think of a more loving, committed grandma than you!!

you are a wonderful example to me, and i'm going to print your words and put them on my bulletin board.

It's All in My Head! said...

I think that when we become a mom, we constantly second guess ourself about decisions we made and what might have been.

But what I do know is what I wonderful, loving, and patient mother you were ad are. All of your girls were so lucky to have you!

JENNIE! said...

thanks mom... that was beautiful and i love you too.

defining amy said...

I love you, Mother Dear.

kathie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kathie said...

You really tugged at my heart strings! Thank goodness we're all in these together, to help each other, offer love and support and not judge. One reason I know I married Ron is because whenever I start with the what if I or I should have he makes me tell him all the good things I did! So focus on the positive. You are amazing and have a beautiful family, every one of them. And Suzanne is right...what a blessing to be a Grammie! I'm sending you a big hug...xoxoxoxoxoxo

email and phone numbers said...

that was truly sweet linda...thanks for sharing! the pics brought back some really great memories!

Anonymous said...

Mom, I love you. All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my mother.
-your baby girl