September 23, 2013

Rainbows, Hope, and Forever

About a week after Amber passed away there was a wonderful rain storm. After the storm had passed, Kaden and I were driving home and we saw the most beautiful double rainbows. We were just a block from home, and we rushed to the backyard and took pictures and just looked at them with complete awe and joy. 
I felt such an overwhelming feeling of love and gratitude... I felt like those beautiful rainbows were a gift straight from heaven, and that Amber and Leah were saying, "Mom and Dad, we're with God, we're together, we're doing good, we love you , and we will all be together forever someday.
All is well." Such a sweet, sweet gift.

I recently read this poem...and while I'm still pretty envious of those who seemingly don't have to endure very much heartache and pain, I was touched by this message and I'm filled with gratitude for our loving Savior.
-->
Traveling by bus, those around me slumbered,
Yet sleep eluded me.
I thought how fortunate my companions were,
Oblivious to the aches and pains.
They missed the tedious hours. 
They missed the pouring rain.
I envied them so…..until they missed the rainbow.
            Lisa South, Ensign, August 1997, p. 17

At church yesterday we had a wonderful lesson based on this talk by President Uchtdorf, The Hope Of God's Light.  It's an amazing inspiring talk. I love this part..."There may be some among you who feel darkness encroaching upon you. You may feel burdened by worry, fear, or doubt. To you and to all of us, I repeat a wonderful and certain truth: God’s light is real. It is available to all! It gives life to all things.  It has the power to soften the sting of the deepest wound. It can be a healing balm for the loneliness and sickness of our souls. In the furrows of despair, it can plant the seeds of a brighter hope. It can enlighten the deepest valleys of sorrow. It can illuminate the path before us and lead us through the darkest night into the promise of a new dawn."

This sweet gift from our friends Chris and Sonya, is something I look at everyday. These are the words that Allyn spoke at Leah's funeral, almost two years ago. It is our new family motto.


No comments: